We are hosting our Fall Happy Hour with ALA’s UCLA Student Chapter!
Come by the Wellsbourne on November 22nd and have a drink, catch up with fellow colleagues, and casually network with working professionals from SoCal SLA and LISSA.
Event begins at 6pm.
See you there!
UCLA’s student chapter of the Special Libraries Association (SLA) is hosting its first meeting of the 2019-2020 school year! Join us to discuss open board positions, plans for the year, and your ideas for SLA activities and events.
Thursday, October 17
1:15 – 2:00 p.m.
The Southern California Chapter of the Special Libraries Association (SLA) is hosting it’s Professional Development Day on Saturday, 9/28/19 at the Peninsula Center Library from 10am-3pm. This is a great opportunity for MLIS students to learn about special libraries and to network and meet people in the library field. More details about the event are below.
Also, please note that the UCLA Student Chapter of SLA is planning to sponsor a few free MLIS student registration spots. So, if you are interested in attending, please email Joanna Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more. Thanks!
- Event: SLA Southern California Professional Development Day
- Date and Time: Saturday 9/28/19 @ 10am – 3pm
- Location: Peninsula Center Library (701 Silver Spur Rd, Rolling Hills Estates, CA 90274)
- Information preservation, curation, and accessibility – in 3D! (3D = tour)
- The intersection of Library Science/Information Science/Archives/Knowledge Management/Records Management
- Career opportunities in the Information Profession, and tips for successfully navigating them
- Understanding how the employees/audience you serve do their work, and what they need from you to do it
- Pulling it all together with self-awareness, self-management, social-awareness, and perspective – so you excel as an information professional across the board.
- Stories from the trenches!
- Networking time built in for more in-depth conversations
- Delicious breakfast and lunch!
- Optional visit to South Coast Botanic Garden after the event
- Cost: Members: $30 – Non-members: $40 – Students and new professionals: $20. If you are in need of sponsorship or subsidized registration, please EMAIL US. Examples include students, professionals in transition, or other unique circumstances.
Event Agenda Below:
9:45am – Arrival & Breakfast
10:00am – Preserving Local History and Making it Accessible / Library & Archive Tour by Monique Leahey Sugimoto (Archivist and local history librarian, Palos Verdes Library District)
11:00am – Where Archives and Records Collide! by JonLuc Christensen (Records Management Specialist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
1:00pm – Understanding Knowledge Workers’ Document Creation, Description, and Storage (CDS) Conventions by Camille Mathieu (Information Science Specialist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
2:00pm – Emotional Intelligence: The Special Sauce for LS/IS/RM/KS Leadership by Julia Mewboure (Manager of Records Management & Imaging Services, Metropolitan Water District) and Shelly Ray (Senior Departmental Systems Analyst, LA Metro)
3:00pm – (Optional) Visit to South Coast Botanic Garden
As the Fall 2018 Quarter kicks into full gear, we just wanted to make people aware of some upcoming UCLA SLA events, including:
- UCLA SLA Happy Hour @ the Wellesbourne on Friday, 10/19 @ 6pm. Come enjoy complimentary appetizers while also meeting fellow UCLA SLA Students and some SLA professionals in a relaxed setting.
- Southern California Chapter of SLA’s Professional Development Event on Friday, 10/26 @ 9am at the West Hollywood Public Library. More details and registration information here: http://southerncalifornia.sla1.org/20181026-professional-development-day/
- UCLA Biomedical Library Tour — Date and time to be announced soon.
Hope to see you at some of the upcoming events!
Happy New Year from the UCLA Chapter of SLA!
We had a fabulous fall complete with tours of the Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library Special Collections Library at UCLA and the Margaret Herrick Library (Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences).
To kick off the holiday season, we co-hosted an evening of merriment at The Wellesbourne with the SLA SoCal chapter.
As we start a new year and a new quarter, SLA UCLA Chapter invites students and professionals to join for lunch in Westwood at Tendergreens on Friday, January 19 at 11:30am! Delightful conversation and valuable information is sure to be shared- we hope to see you there!
Hi all, and happy holidays everyone! The UCLA Student Chapter of SLA and the SLA Southern California Chapter are co-hosting a Holiday Happy Hour on Thursday, December 14th from 5pm – 8pm at The Wellesbourne located in the West LA area. We would love for members of both the UCLA Student Chapter of SLA and the SLA Southern California Chapter to come eat, drink and be merry with us! Please RSVP below by Tuesday, December 12th, to let us know if you can make it. Thanks!
-Date & Time: Thursday, December 14, 2017 from 5pm – 8pm
-Location: The Wellesbourne, 10929 W Pico Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90064 (http://www.thewellesbourne.com/)
-RSVP: Please RSVP by Tuesday, December 12th by filling out the form below (or you can also RSVP on Google Forms here: https://goo.gl/forms/erK79MkFMdnryX9j2)
-Questions: Please contact Joanna Smith with any questions at JOANNA.SMITH@UCLA.EDU.
***First 3-Hours Free Parking available opposite The Wellesbourne at The Landmark Movie Theatre Garage (10850 W. Pico Blvd).
***Public Metered Lot on the corner of Pico Blvd and Midvale Ave.
***Street Parking after 7pm along Pico Blvd.
Hope you can all make it – we are looking forward to meeting all of you!